Becoming One


for·give   [fer-giv]    1. to grant pardon for or remission of (an offense, debt, etc.); absolve.    2. to cease to feel resentment against: to forgive one's enemies.

I have thought a lot about how to become one with my husband. I believe a lot of it has to do with focusing on his needs and not my own, and making sure I forgive him and do not harbor any hard feelings towards him. President Eyring sums it up well with this quote: 
"If we are to have unity, there are commandments we must keep concerning how we feel. We must forgive and bear no malice toward those who offend us. The Savior set the example from the cross: “Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do” (Luke 23:34). We do not know the hearts of those who offend us. Nor do we know all the sources of our own anger and hurt. The Apostle Paul was telling us how to love in a world of imperfect people, including ourselves, when he said, “Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil” (1 Cor. 13:4–5). And then he gave solemn warning against reacting to the fault of others and forgetting our own when he wrote, “For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as I am known” (1 Cor. 13:12)." - President Eyring 
I truly believe that to have unity in our marriages/relationships and become one, we must learn to let our own selfishness and pride go. I am grateful for the counsel of our leaders in how to do this, and for the Atonement which allows me to change and progress. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christ as our Focus

Consecration and Problem Solving in Marriage

Giving 100%