The Importance of Dreams

This week I watched a video of a couple discussing finances. There was a lot of conflict about what the money should be used for. Dr. John Gottman explained that there is much more to this issue than the money itself; it is about the DREAMS of each spouse. The wife wanted to keep her horse because of the emotional connection she feels with him, and the husband wanted to save for a boat and a cabin someday. This really got me thinking about the importance of dreams. I think that in a marriage, spouses should be helping each other pursue and achieve their dreams. Of course, some dreams cannot be fulfilled due to one thing or another. But, many times, dreams can be accomplished with support and love. 
For example, one of my dreams is to have a degree. Being an online student was never something I imagined I would be, but it seems to be the best way to obtain the degree I seek. My husband is completely supportive of this. He spends money on my classes and books. He sacrifices time with me so I can study. He is the epitome of supporting my dreams. 
His dream is to become a pilot in the Air Force. His training is vigorous, and it is difficult to be away from him many days. But, knowing it is his dream, I am willing to sacrifice that time with him. It makes our time together that much more meaningful. 
Our relationship has only grown stronger as we have supported each other in these dreams. One thing I have learned, however, is that sometimes dreams are accomplished in different ways and in different timing than we originally planned. We need to be okay with this. Life happens, and often it does not go how we wish. But if we are faithful to what we know, and the promises we have made, those dreams will be fulfilled someday. In this life or the next. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christ as our Focus

Healthy ties with in-laws

Becoming One